Friday, February 22, 2013

Steven Spielberg marathon



I won't do too much preamble here - the provenance is pretty simple, back when I assumed Lincoln was going to clean up at the Oscars (which has become a longshot), I figured it'd be a good opportunity to fill the holes in my Spielberg canon.  I am not going to pore through his entire canon, there are too many films, most of which I've already seen, and a few of which I couldn't possibly say anything remotely objective (ask me to judge ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark as pieces of filmmaking and I wouldn't know where to begin.)  So I'm just doing six movies here, all of which I have never seen, and most of which are somewhat minor Spielberg.  The list is as follows:

Duel
Sugarland Express
Jaws
1941 (yikes)
The Color Purple
Empire of the Sun

Yes, it is true, I have never seen Jaws, it's been the biggest omission in my entire film-watching history for a very long time.  But I'm going to start with Duel and knock these six films out, and if I'm lucky then by the time I'm done I'll have Lincoln in my hands as well, which I haven't seen yet, to bring my total up to seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment